Are you constantly trying to hide your dark spots on your face? You might have hyperpigmentation! The good news is that we can help. Here’s a little something to help you understand the different types of hyperpigmentation and its causes. It’s time to rebuild your confidence!
What is hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is a common and usually non-threatening condition, in which patches of skin on parts of the body, such as the face and hands, look darker than your natural skin tone. This is caused by an overproduction of melanin, which is a brown pigment that gives the skin its natural colour.
Hyperpigmentation affects both men and woman from all ethnic backgrounds and is most prevalent in middle age individuals and beyond. Individuals with darker skin tones however, are more prone to hyperpigmentation, due to excess sun exposure. Although it usually poses no real health risk, hyperpigmentation can bring upon serious self-esteem and self-confidence issues for most individuals, making cosmetic therapies a viable treatment option.
What are the different types and causes of hyperpigmentation?
There exist many different types of hyperpigmentation, but the following are the most common:
- Lentigines, also known as age spots or pigment spots, are caused by frequent sun (UV) exposure
- Melasma, which is caused by hormonal fluctuations, especially during pregnancy, through the use of birth control pills, and with thyroid dysfunction
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), which occurs following skin trauma or injury, such as scarring, birthmarks, severe acne, burns, psoriasis and skin cancers
How can hyperpigmentation be treated?
At Clinique K, there are several treatment options available that are sure to make you fall in love with your skin again!
Hyperpigmentation can be treated with the following
- Clear + Brilliant, a gentle laser treatment, that refreshes the skin by replacing damaged skin with healthy tissue. Multiple treatments with minimal downtime are recommended, in order to fully benefit from it
- Photorejuvenation (IPL or BBL), a technology that sends light energy pulses to improve skin color. The energy eliminates fine vessels that cause redness, as well as the melanin responsible for undesired changes in pigmentation. It is ideal however, to combine both IPL or BBL with ProFractional Laser, a laser treatment where only a fraction of the skin is directly treated. Desired results can be achieved with 3 relatively painless sessions of each, and maintenance is recommended once a year.
- ZO Skin Health, an exclusive skin therapy system from Dr. Zein Obagi, improves and transforms skin tone and texture while promoting cellular function. The skin therapy system has a unique cream that contains hydroquinone and retinol, and can be either used on its own, or as maintenance once Clear + Brilliant or Photorejuvenation with ProFractional Laser are performed. If hydroquinone is not tolerated, our skin experts can certainly recommend an alternative! Also, by regularly applying a medical grade sunscreen, like the Obagi sunscreen, results obtained with laser treatments will be better maintained.
Say goodbye to hyperpigmentation today!
Call us to schedule a free consultation with our team of experts, who are devoted to make you feel your best in your own skin!